Pursuing Jobs or Graduate School
Finding a Job
Pursuing internships, co-ops, field placements, practicums and career opportunities is an ongoing process. Having these types of experiences makes graduates more marketable. They also help students to determine what they like, and don’t like, before they pursue them as full-time career opportunities.
Handshake is the primary source that recruiters use to post internships, co-ops and career opportunities for college students. Therefore, it is important for you to set up a Handshake account and upload your approved CDS resume.
Graduate school can be the critical next step for achieving your career goals. Before making the investment of time and money on graduate school, be clear about your desired outcome – personally, professionally and financially.
The CDS staff can help you to assess if graduate school is the best option for you and help and you develop your resume and personal statement.
The information and links below provide general information on important topics to be considered in your exploration of graduate school options.
- Will a graduate degree position me for a higher starting salary and advancement opportunities?
- What graduate and professional degree programs exist for my chosen career and where are they located?
- Am I prepared to seize opportunities while in graduate school to ensure that I finish with marketable experience?
- Other Factors to Consider
- How long does it take to complete the program of study?
- How much will it cost (tuition, housing, books, etc.) and will I earn a salary upon graduation that allows me to comfortably repay any loans that might be needed?
- Am I ready to take tests, write papers and have lots of reading assignments?
- Does the thought of going back to school cause anxiety and stress?
- What are the application procedures and admission requirements?
- Will the program complete require a thesis, dissertation or comprehensive examinations to successfully complete the program?
- Does the department or university offer graduate assistantships to help offset the cost of tuition and/or provide work experience?
- Will I have to participate in an internship, practicum, or field experience?
- Do I have enough relevant work experience? (Some graduate programs strongly encourage students to get relevant work experience first.)
- Sample Interview Thank You letter
- Salary Negotiation
- LinkedIn Job Search Engine - Leverage the world’s largest professional network to connect with opportunity. Use LinkedIn Jobs to harness the power of your network and get hired. LinkedIn Jobs surfaces insights such as whom you know at a company, providing you an edge in your job search.
- LinkedIn Salary - Discover your earning potential with LinkedIn Salary. Explore salaries by job title and location. See how years of experience, industry, location and more can impact your salary.
- LinkedIn Internships - Use the power of LinkedIn to take the first step in your professional career with the internship finder.
- LinkedIn ProFinder - LinkedIn's new professional services marketplace that helps to connect entrepreneurs and freelancers with real business projects.
- BuzzLife - Search employers by Alabama A&M majors by city and state
- Neuvoo - Looking for a job? You will find on Neuvoo all the jobs available in your region. Your job search starts here.
- Employment Guide - Find full and part time jobs. EmploymentGuide.com provides job search resources including job fairs, online degree programs, career advice, and work at home
- Career Builder - CareerBuilder.com is the most trusted source for job opportunities and advice. Access career resources, personalized salary tools and insights. Find your dream job now!
- Internships - Find internships and employment opportunities in the largest internship marketplace. Search paid internships and part time jobs to help start your career.
- Cybersecurity Internships - This guide is designed to help students and recent graduates learn more about professional cybersecurity internships. The guide includes information related to the kinds of internships available to cybersecurity students and recent graduates, where to look for internships, and what to expect to get out of an internship.
In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software