Starting a chapter
Alumni organizations are perhaps one of the greatest single resources on which an institution can depend. They offer the richest potential as resources for advice, advocacy, student recruitment, and financial support. The Alabama A&M Alumni Association, Inc. is committed to assisting alumni start local chapters of the Alabama A&M Alumni Association, Inc. in cities where there is no local chapter presence.
How to Start a New Chapter
- Contact the Alumni Association Representative or the Office of Alumni Affairs (256) 372-5014 - and express your interest in serving as a contact person for a particular area. The office will provide you with email addresses of alumni in your area, a chapter reporting form, and draft of a local chapter constitution and by-laws which you will customize for your local alumni chapter.
- A minimum of five members is needed to establish a chapter.
- Officers must be elected and information forwarded to the Association office after the election.
- A constitution must be written and forwarded to the Alabama A&M University Alumni Association for approval. They may be emailed to email@example.com
- Each member is required to pay $50.00 alumni dues to gain active status in the Alumni Association at the national level. Chapters are allowed to establish their own local dues requirements.
- A $50.00 chapter charter fee is required to be submitted with the group's application membership.
- Upon receipt of the names and addresses of members of each club, payment of the $35.00 alumni dues for each member, the $50.00 chapter charter fee, and chapter constitution and by-laws, the Alumni Association will act regarding approval of the request. Upon approval, the Association will activate the chapter and issue the chapter charter and the approval to the members.
- Checks or money orders for alumni dues and a chapter charter are to be made payable to the AAMU Alumni Association, Inc., and mailed to AAMU Alumni Association, P. O. Box 1717, Normal, AL 35762.
In order to maintain a charter, the local alumni chapter must fulfill the following obligations:
- Hold monthly meetings at which business is transacted
- Elections for president, vice president, secretary, treasurer and other officer are held biennially.
- Terms of office shall be concurrent with the terms of the Officers of the AAMU Alumni Association which run biennially from January to January
- All officers and chairpersons must be active members of the AAMU Alumni Association
For additional information, please contact the Association Representive at 256-372-5014.